On this page:
- Your First Year: General Program Areas
- Your Second Year: Specifying you Program of Study (or your POSt)
- Transferring to another Co-op POSt
HELPFUL TERMS FOR THIS PAGE:
FCE: Full Credit Equivalent
Subject POSt: Program Of Study.
These are typically applied to when going into second year, this is also known as your major or specialization.
Subject POSts aren’t guaranteed.
If you’ve been admitted into Co-op directly from high school, you’ll begin in one of the following five program areas:
- Life Sciences (2 work terms)
- Humanities & Social Sciences (2 work terms)
- Physical & Environmental Sciences (3 work terms)
- Computer and Mathematical Sciences (3 work terms)
- Psychological & Health Sciences (2 work terms)
Once you complete 4 FCEs (or full credit equivalents), you must select a specific subject as your Program of Study (also known as your subject POSt). This is typically at the end of your first year, or after 2 semesters.
Want to request a subject POSt for a program area that you weren’t admitted to?
This may be possible, but first you’ll need to double-check that you meet the specific requirements for that program. You can verify these in the undergraduate program calendar.
This is an important step: if you don’t meet the minimum requirements, you won’t be admitted to your subject POSt after first year. This will impact your course selection ability, co-op course completion, and work term eligibility. If this applies to you, contact your Student Development Coordinator.
Once chosen, a subject POSt will put you into one of the following areas in the chart below:
Computer & Mathematical Sciences
- Computer Science – Comprehensive
- Computer Science – Entrepreneurship
- Computer Science – Health Informatics
- Computer Science – Information Systems
- Computer Science – Software Engineering
- Mathematics – Comprehensive
- Mathematics – Statistics Stream
- Statistics – Machine Learning & Data Mining
- Statistics – Quantitative Finance
Humanities & Social Sciences
- City Studies
- Health Studies – Policy
- Public Policy
- Women & Gender Studies
- Molecular Biology & Biotechnology
Physical & Environmental Sciences
- Biological Chemistry
- Environmental Biology
- Environmental Chemistry
- Environmental Geoscience
- Environmental Physics
- Environmental Science
Psychological & Health Sciences
- Health Studies – Population Health
- Mental Health Studies
If you’re already in a subject POSt and would like to request a transfer to a new one, it’s best to consult with academic advising or your program supervisor to ensure that you meet the prerequisites for your new subject POSt.
Once you’ve confirmed that you have the prerequisites, you can request the transfer by selecting your desired subject POSt on ACORN.
If you submit your request to transfer partway through your first year, the request won’t be considered until you have your 4 FCEs.