Health & Wellness Centre Groups – Fall 2017
Groups are a great way to learn new skills with other students who understand and can relate to what you are experiencing. All groups will take place in the Health & Wellness Centre, SL-270, unless otherwise noted. Most groups will be starting at the end of September.
4 and 8 WEEK Groups - Pre- registration required
1. Mood Matters - Mondays 3-4pm Learn the relationship between your thoughts, feelings and behaviours and learn new coping strategies. The group will also practice specific techniques to reduce stress and manage difficult emotions.
2. Self-Compassion – Tuesdays 12-1pm Learn skills to combat your inner critic by fostering a sense of self-compassion. The group will practice techniques aimed at relating to yourself more kindly, recognizing that the human condition is imperfect, and mindfully experiencing your thoughts and emotions.
3. Creating Social Connections – Tuesdays 3-4pm Participants will have the opportunity to practice specific techniques that may be helpful in reducing social anxiety, social isolation or loneliness.
4. Mind & Body – Wednesdays 3-4pm , TPASC Building Studio 1 Learn to manage your stress through physical and cognitive skill-building activities. Learn the basics of cardio, strength, and flexibility exercises in the studio and fitness centre. Boost your resilience through setting personal goals, applying character strengths, and practicing relaxation techniques.
5. Mirror, mirror – Thursdays at 12-1pm Participants will learn how to increase their awareness about their own healthy and unhealthy habits. This workshop will include interactive activities, helping participants learn ways to improve body image, and question myths our society holds about beauty.
DROP IN Groups
1. Relaxation and Meditation — Wednesdays, 3-4pm - SL-279 Learn about the concepts of mindfulness meditation and how it can help with managing stress, increasing concentration and improving overall health. No previous meditation experience necessary. Mats and meditation cushions provided.
2. Over the RAINBOW LGBTQ+ Group– Fridays at 12-1pm, starting September 15 The LGBTQ+ support group is open to any students who identify within the LGBTQ+ community or may be questioning their gender identity and/or sexual orientation. The group will explore LGBTQ+ related topics including coming out processes, experiences of marginalization, and advocacy of queer and trans rights and identities. The group will also offer supportive space for discussion, and a variety self-care strategies.
3. Building Social Confidence - Fridays, 2-3pm, IC-302 This drop-in group is focused on students with shyness, social nervousness to discover their inner strength and to apply new skills in the aim of improving their level of confidence, academic performance and job search.