Your Information


Your personal information and records at the University of Toronto are protected by the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA). Whether we have discussions with you in person, if we are reading your petition, updating your record, or assisting you in another way, we do so with integrity, and hold information in the strictest confidence.

We cannot provide specific information about you to a third party without your written authorization.

Keeping Your Information Up to Date

As you go through life changes (change marital status, name change, move, etc.), it is essential that you update your U of T student record, just as you would with any other personal record, such as your driver's license. The University will need to contact you to notify you of any updates, upcoming deadlines, awards, scholarships, or send you monetary refunds if you qualify for one. Incorrect information may have serious implications.

Updates you can make on ACORN

  • Phone number
  • Mailing address
  • Email address
  • Personal bank information

Updates you can make at the Registrar's Office 

  • Request a name change
  • Update your legal status by providing proof of Canadian citizenship, updated /valid study permit documents, or Permanent Resident documents

Giving permission for others to access your information and pick up documents

On occasion, you may wish to have a friend or family member ask questions on your behalf or pick up your documents. While we are happy to answer general questions, or provide general instruction, we are legally bound to keep specific details of your personal records, including documents, confidential until we have your authorization in writing.

To grant permission, they will need to bring an authorization form written by you. The letter must be dated, and signed. It can simply state "I, (your first name and student number here), authorize (your designate's full name) to (describe the authorization you are permitting)." When they arrive, they will also be required to present their Government-issued photo ID.

To pick up a transcript, they will need to bring a completed copy of the Transcript Pick-Up Authorization Form. When they arrive, they will also be required to present their Government-issued photo ID.