Be an AccessAbility Outreach Team Volunteer
Title/Position: AccessAbility Outreach Team Volunteer
Goal of Position:
The Outreach Team will plays integral role in supporting AccessAbility Services to reach out to the University of Toronto Scarborough community and build awareness about AccessAbility Services and the Peer Note Taking program. Outreach volunteers will assist the department in recruiting volunteer Note Takers through various outreach activities. Successful recruitment efforts by volunteers will ensure that students with disabilities receive this accommodation in a timely manner.
Under the direction of the Coordinator, Volunteer Resources, Outreach volunteers will assist AccessAbility Services in one or more of the following areas:
- Display booths: Volunteers will lead AccessAbility Services display booths by providing general information to the university community regarding the service and the Note Taking program. Volunteers will take initiative to approach students, inform them of the need for volunteer Note Takers and recruit students to become potential volunteer Note Takers.
- In-Class Announcements: Volunteers will assist AccessAbility Services in making announcements in the classes that require Note Takers. Announcements are usually made in the first few minutes of the class time, before the lecture begins.
- Personal Support Assistant: Volunteers will work one-on-one assisting students with disabilities in their activities on campus. These can include, assisting students in lectures, and assistance students with mobility on campus.
- Other: Volunteers will also have the opportunity to assist with outreach events and with general office support. Office support includes (and is not limited to): photocopying and filing Note Taker’s notes, assembling professor packages and Note Taker manuals.
- Good interpersonal skills
- Strong communication skills
- Interest in disability issues
- Active contribution to the UTSC peer community
- Opportunity to lead student campaigns, increase awareness on disability related issues and gain valuable leadership experience
- Build your resume
- Receive a Certificate of Recognition
Number of Vacancies: 25
Outreach Team Recruitment happening now. To apply: Click here to download the application form.
For more information about Volunteering for AccessAbility Services, please view the General Volunteer Page.
~ Volunteering is the ultimate exercise in democracy…when you volunteer, you vote
every day about the kind of community you want to live in. ~