In order to be considered for admission to the Master of Accounting and Finance program you must meet the following critieria:
- Completion of an appropriate four-year undergraduate degree with a specialization in Accounting
- University of Toronto applicants must have completed a Specialist undergraduate program in Accounting from any of the three campuses; OR,
- Non-University of Toronto applicants must have completed a substantially equivalent academic program from a recognized university.
- Academic achievement
- A minimum overall grade average of B or 73% across core course requirements (see links below).
- Within that average, core courses must be completed with a minimum grade achievement of C+ or 65%.
- English Language Proficiency
- Qualifying undergraduate degree where the language of instruction and examination is in English; OR,
- Satisfactory performance on a standardized English Language Test:
- TOEFL – Minimum score required is 100
- IELTS – Minimum score required is 7.0
If you completed your qualifying degree outside of Canada, there are additional admission requirements.
- Graduates of recognized academic institutions outside of Canada should hold an appropriate bachelor's degree or its equivalent as assessed by the University of Toronto. Use the International Degree Equivalencies Tool to check which international credentials are required.
- Provide proof of English proficiency through satisfactory performance on a standardized English language test, such as TOEFL and IELTS, if your qualifying education was not taught primarily in English.
- Ensure that your education is appropriately recognized by the Chartered Professional Accountants (CPA) association in addition to the above eligibility criteria. The CPA will assess your academic credentials and will inform you whether or not you meet the minimum requirements to enter the MAccFin program. Visit the CPA website for more information on academic assessments.
- If you meet the minimum course requirement, please upload the CPA documentation to your file when completing your online application.
- If you require additional undergraduate study, you may complete it and subsequently apply to the MAccFin program. We will accept CPA-recognized courses completed at any recognized university-level program or courses offered through the University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies. Please refer to the list of CPA-recognized university programs and courses.
Applications will be accepted online through the University of Toronto School of Graduate Studies.
We will be assessing applications on a rolling basis, assessing each prospective student upon submission of completed application.
To start your application, please visit apply.sgs.utoronto.ca:
- Complete required documentation (see below for more information)
- Schedule at least 30-60 minutes
- Register on apply.sgs.utoronto.ca
- Create a personal profile, including academic background
- Nominate references
- Pay application fee ($120)
For your application, please prepare the following:
- Statement of Interest: An essay of 250-400 words, written solely by you, which outlines your motivation for applying to the program and what you will accomplish during and after your studies.
- Resume: Maximum two pages summarizing your personal, academic, and professional accomplishments. Please highlight those accomplishments that will demonstrate your ability to complete the MAccFin program.
- Academic Reference Letters: Minimum two required. These are generally completed by a professor who you have studied/worked with in the past. Your reference must provide an email address from a recognized university. Academic references help confirm the accuracy of your statement of interest and to provide an opinion on your academic aptitude.
- Professional Reference Letter: One letter provided by a direct supervisor from your current or previous employer is an asset. This type of reference can provide an outside perspective of your work ethic and qualifications for employment.
- Transcripts: Scanned transcripts from ALL post-secondary programs attended must be available for digital upload at the time of application. Official transcripts must be post-mailed to the address as outlined on the admissions website.
Interview Process & Offer of Admission
After your application has been reviewed and approved, you will move on to the interview stage. Approved applicants will be invited to an interview on Kira Talent, where you will be asked video-recorded and written questions to demonstrate your communication skills and technical knowledge. We will be sending you an interview invitation from KiraTalent, which will provide you with further instructions.
Some applications that move forward in the admission process may be selected for a second mandatory interview remotely (e.g. Skype). The interview, which will be part of the selection process, will consist of a conversation between the applicant and MAccFin representatives. A possible admission decision may take some time after the interview occurs. Applicants will not receive any feedback on this interview.
If you are successful, congratulations! The MAccFin team will extend an offer of admission to you through email, where you will need to confirm your offer and pay your deposit. Please also check your application on the School of Graduate Studies website to see a decision made status change.
Need help? Please visit our FAQ page or complete our inquiry form.