Frequently Asked Questions

Home repair tools.

Repair Request Form

Need something fixed? Click here to submit your repair request form.

Frequently Asked Questions

What should I bring?

You will definitely need to bring the following: cutlery, glasses, bowls, plates, alarm clock, bedding, linen, toiletries, posters/pictures, backpack, phone, food containers, fan, food.
Just think of what you would use on a regular basis and chances are you'll need to bring them with you to residence.

What is a Residence Advisor (RA)?

Residence Advisors are students who live in the residence community and are responsible to assigned townhouses/areas. They are your front line support. They take an active interest in the quality and enrichment of residence life and are willing to talk with you about the adjustments to be made in leaving home, living in residence, and making academic choices. They are responsible for providing information and referrals to villagers, educational and social programs, crisis and emergency support, general help with house and village matters, enforcing residence policy, supporting the academic mission and larger mission and goals of the University of Toronto Scarborough. These students provide an essential balance between friendship and guidance and leadership in the village around issues of community standards and behaviour.

How many people will be living in my house?

Houses are either 4 person or 6 person houses, depending on the type or location of townhouse you live in. Townhouses for first year students and can be either 4 or 6 person houses. Townhouses located in north residence are usually 4-person houses.

Are the houses wheelchair accessible?

There are 5 wheelchair accessible houses on the University of Toronto Scarborough campus. Contact us so we can create an accomodation plan.

Are there any application criteria?

Students are able to stay in Residence if they are full time (must be enrolled in at least 3.5 F.C.E.). Students must be registered at the University of Toronto Scarborough.

Are there any guarantees that I'll get a space?

U of T's Residence Guarantee for First-Year Applicants

Residence is guaranteed for all new full-time students entering their first year of university in an undergraduate program for the first time, provided that they have indicated their interest in residence by completing the MyRes application on the next screen by March 31, and receive and accept an offer of admission by early June. (specific dates varies year to year)

Students must respond to all deadlines and meet all deposit requirements in order to maintain their eligibility.

If you missed the March 31 deadline, you can still apply and get on a waitlist.

Is there a meal plan?

Since our residences are equipped with complete kitchenettes (a refrigerator, microwave, oven and stove), the meal plan is optional. Meal plans are available through Food Partnerships.

How do I purchase a Meal Plan?

Meal Plans can be purchased online by visiting Online payment can be made through any major Credit Card. To purchase a Meal Plan through Debit or Cash or if you have any questions, you can send an email to, call 416-208-2233 or visit our office at BV498A (4th Floor of Bladen Wing) during regular office hours. 

Are the houses smoking or non-smoking?

All townhouses and suite-style units are non-smoking.

Can I live with my friends?

On your application you can fill out the section which asks for your "preferred housemate". Your preferred housemate must also request you as a preferred roommate in order for your request to be processed

How are housemates chosen?

Housemates are matched according to the information you gave us on your application form. We take these questions into careful consideration when going through the housemate matching process.

Are the residences co-ed?

Students can indicate in their application if they prefer to live in Same Gender - Women, Same Gender - Men, or All Gender Housing.

Is there summer residence?

Yes, we run a summer residence program for all university/college students, from any higher education institution in the world, who are working or studying in the Greater Toronto Area.

Am I allowed pets?

Pets are not permitted in residence.

Can I bring my own furniture?

All units are fully furnished, however, students can bring their own small furniture (e.g. no bigger than a desk chair). You may bring items that will help you feel comfortable with your new living space such as a  lamp, small side table and small bookshelf.
NOTE: All original furniture (in the bedrooms and common area) must be returned by the end of the year check-out.

Can I hang posters or pictures?

You are more than welcome to personalize your bedroom with posters and pictures. Nails or screws in the wall are not permitted, neither is tape. 3M productes are recommended as these products do not cause damage to the walls.
Posters may also be placed in the common area (upon agreement within the household).
During particular holidays (e.g. Christmas), you may decorate your house accordingly and are actually encouraged to enter a contest and decorate the outside of your house!

Can I have overnight guests?

Guests are allowed on campus if all of your housemates agree. Guests are allowed no more than 4 overnight stays per month.
Parking: You may purchase a visitor parking pass in advance at the Parking Services office in IC-40. You will need the vehicle year, make and model to purchase the pass.

Can I stay over the winter holiday?

The University including Student Housing & Residence Life will be closed during the December Closure. As stated in your Residence Agreement; the Resident is expected to vacate the room during the closure but may leave their belongings in their assigned units/bedrooms. The Resident is expected to secure alternate accommodation during this period. For those who absolutely require residence during this time period, Student Housing & Residence Life will allow students with particular circumstances (e.g. international students, out-of-province students), to register to stay in residence during the closure. There is a fee for service during this period. Registration to stay for the closure can be discussed with the SHRL office in October/November.

Who does the cleaning?

Students are responsible for the general upkeep and cleanliness of the houses including cleaning and garbage disposal. It is recommended that a cleaning schedule be established (and agreed upon by all of your housemates) at the beginning of the year so that future disagreements may be avoided. Houses are inspected by the Maintenance office periodically to ensure that they are kept in good condition.
Note: Mops, vacuums, and brooms will be provided.
Every month a cleaning service enters units to clean all common areas (bathrooms, kitchens, living rooms)

How do I do my laundry?

There are three laundry rooms available in the residence complex, and four in the apartment complex (1 per floor). They are locked at all times but you will be given 24 hours access. A washing cycle is $2.00 per load and a drying cycle is $1.50 per load. Payment can only be made using your TCard, and funds can be loaded in the TCard+ website:

How do I get my mail?

See the mail page to find your address.

How do I get downtown?

There are several routes to downtown. There are buses that leave from Scarborough Campus that will take you to the subway stations. From Kennedy station you take the subway until you reach St. George station.

Is there somewhere I can store my belongings over the summer?

Store Your Dorm can help you store your belongings from one semester to the next at an offsite location. They deliver boxes and tape to your room. They pick-up your goods from your room, store them over the session and then deliver them back when requested.