Alumni & Friends - Ways to get involved and give back

Police and Vulnerable Sectors Checks

Instructions for students who work or volunteer with the Department of Student Life and International Student Centre

Please be aware that in order to volunteer with some of our Community Action Projects, police/ vulnerable record checks are required. Some regions take longer to process these record so please make sure to apply with your local region as soon as possible to ensure you will be able to participate with the opportunities you are interested in. 
If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact for more information. 
Step 1: Get Ready
You must apply to the jurisdiction that you currently live in. For example, if you live in Toronto, your must apply in Toronto. For those who live on campus (in Residence), you may choose to apply to your home community OR the Scarborough community.
Step 2: How to Apply
Do you live in Toronto? Visit SL 157 to receive and complete your form. Your check will be paid for by the Department of Student Life.
For other regions outside of Toronto, visit SL 157 to receive a letter confirming your volunteer placement with the Department of Student Life. Initially you will be required to pay for your check but you will be reimbursed by the Department of Student Life. Please keep your receipt to receive your reimbursement.
Step 3: Confirming your Check 
Visit SL 157 and bring in your completed Police and Vulnerable Sector Check. 
International Students
Police/Vulnerable Persons Checks are only required for citizens of Canada. 
As an International Student, your student visa is the only documentation needed to reflect the equivalent of a Police/ Vulnerable Persons check for some of our Community Partners. Please make sure to provide us with a photocopy if requested.