The BRIDGE & Investment Society are pleased to welcome you to our 9th annual UTSC Trading Competition!
In our state-of-the art lab, UTSC student traders compete in teams to experience life on the trading floor. Using Rotman Interactive Trader software, students learn how to trade financial securities with each other on a real-time basis, and how to quickly apply their knowledge of finance principles in a fast-paced, simulated trade floor experience.
A networking session & awards reception follows, where students connect with finance professionals and alumni.
- This competition is open to current UTSC students only.
- Teams must have 3 UTSC students. If you don't have a team, Investment Society will help pair you with others to form a team.
- The registration fee is $10 per team member. Investment Society will collect cash from you at their booth during the workshops.
- Please register HERE individually and register your team at the Investment Society booth.
- After payment is received you shall receive the Trader's Handbook, which includes all the detail about the trading cases.
All teams are STRONGLY recommended to attend at least one workshop. Traders should also practice their cases at home or in The BRIDGE Lab on the practice server.
Case Workshops@IC108 (drop-in, get help with specific cases, practice against other teams)
- Case #1 debrief
- September 23, 2022 (Friday) @ 3pm – 4:30pm
- Case #1 debrief
- September 30, 2022 (Friday) @ 3pm - 4:30pm
Practice Servers (These servers will be available for practice 24/7 from Sept 23 up to the day before the competition)
Practice Server: 126.96.36.199
Case 1 Port: 10001
Case 2 Port: 10002
You can access these servers from home or from The BRIDGE Lab.
After a long day of trading, be ready to mix and mingle with our industry guests, many of whom are currently working as Bay Street traders. This is an excellent chance to learn more about the industry, and maybe even make a connection that could change your life! Food is served.
Rules & Regulations
- There are two rounds of trading, each round presenting a unique case, with different risks and opportunities. Each trading round will be 45 mins in length. Up to 2 members of each team can participate in a trading round, sharing the same terminal. Each member of the team must participate in at least 1 round.
- Traders will trade their case 4 times, each sub-heat lasting between 5 to 8 minutes. Upon completion of a sub-heat, there will be an approximate 3-minute break while scores are saved and verified. Traders may leave during this break, but it is their responsibility to return before the break ends.
- Traders must arrive at The BRIDGE at least 10 minutes before their case start time to sign in. Traders who are late for their case will immediately be disqualified from that sub-heat, and will be ranked last in the sub-heat. They will be able to enter The BRIDGE Lab during break and may continue with the remaining sub-heats.
- The integrity of the market is based on the participants of that market. It is highly suggested that all participants be diligent about maintaining market liquidity. In the event of "error-trades" occurring, where a price changes dramatically due to a lack of liquidity, trades will be broken. Parties that benefit from these abnormal trades will have their profits reversed, and parties that have losses from these trades will retain them.
- In the event of a workstation failure, The BRIDGE staff will be present to assist you. In the event of a network/power/server failure where 10% or more of the workstations are disconnected due to technical reasons, the case sub-heat will be rerun.
- The performance of each sub-heat is ranked by profit & loss (P&L). Trading rounds are ranked by averaging sub-heat rankings, not averaging overall P&L. Overall team rankings are calculated by taking the average ranking of each round. In the event that there is a tie, the team with higher overall P&L wins.
- This is a professional business competition, so participants are expected to dress in business formal attire. Participants can be turned away if they are not dressed appropriately.