On this page you will find key information to support research excellence from the initial stages. This includes eligibility to hold research funds, new faculty research onboarding information, collaboration & partnerships, compliance & ethics in research, and EDI in research & innovation.
New Faculty Onboarding: Getting Started in Research
Explore the New Faculty Onboarding: Getting Started in Research & Innovation at the University of Toronto guide created by the Division of the Vice-President, Research & Innovation (VPRI) U of T to help you get oriented to research-specific resources and processes as you transition to your new role at UTSC.
Please consult the following links for other important information:
- UTSC Internal Funding Programs – curated list of internal funding opportunities at UTSC including starter grants to kick off your research.
- CRIS Resource Hub – U of T’s Centre for Research & Innovation supports including tools and training.
- The Canadian Common CV (CCV) -web-based application that provides researchers with a single, common approach to gathering CV information required by a network of federal, provincial and not-for-profit research funding organizations.
Please contact the OVPRI Research Administration Officers for more information.
Conception of a Research Idea
The research process begins with an idea that is refined to identify a research problem, and research questions or hypotheses are formulated from the research problem. Before embarking on a research project, understand who can be a Principal Investigator (PI) at the University of Toronto.
Here are some strategic documents and initiatives to frame your research question or agenda (if applicable):
- U of T’s Institutional Strategic Research Plan
- UTSC’s Strategic Plan
- U of T Institutional Strategic Initiatives
Partnership can be an excellent way of deepening your research and disseminating the knowledge created. You can partner with other researchers, community groups, foundations, the private sector, governments, non-governmental organizations, policy-makers, and others. Please consult the following for partnership information:
- Discover Research to find a U of T researcher for collaboration.
- Community Partnerships & Engagement Office at UTSC early on in your research for collaboration with Community-based Organizations.
- Partnership page of U of T for more information on establishing Partnership with Industry, Community Group and Network of Partners and Memberships.
- Indigenous Research Initiatives Office for collaboration with Indigenous Communities.
- Innovations, Partnership & Entrepreneurship Office for Institutional Partnerships, Industry Research Partnerships and commercialization of invention.
- International Office for International Partnerships and Collaboration.
- Black Research Network for information on black research excellence and collaboration.
Please contact the Research Partnership and Business Development Officers for more information.
EDI in Research & Innovation
Please visit the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in Research & Innovation page for more information.
Compliance & Ethics
Please see Compliance & Ethics page for more information.
Guidelines for UTSC Core Facilities
The purpose of these guidelines is to provide a structured, detailed, and transparent framework to support the establishment, operation and, when necessary, closure of core facilities at UTSC.