Onboarding and Training Requirements
Scope: The registration and training requirements described herein applies to all incoming:
- Laboratory Personnel
- Graduate Students
- Undergraduate Students (performing research activities under the supervision of a faculty member)
- Post-Doctoral Fellows
- Unpaid Intern / Student Research Trainees
- Volunteers and Visitors (if staying for more than 1 month)
Prior to starting any research work in a lab, all individuals will be required to complete:
- The Department Personnel Registration and Emergency Preparedness (PREP) document
- The following EHS online training
- EHS002 - Basic Health and Safety Awareness
- EHS528 - Slips, Trips and Falls
- EHS536 - Office Ergonomics
- Additional Requirements for individuals working in a Wet Lab:
- EHS101 - WHMIS and Lab Safety Training
- DPES Basic Laboratory Safety Training
- Contact the Technical Operations Manager to register for the training.
Key/fob access to DPES research facilities will NOT be granted until all of the above requirements have been fulfilled. More information regarding the process for requesting lab access can be found here.
Special Instructions for Undergraduates enrolled in a research course or work study project:
Failure to complete the requirements within the first 3 weeks of your start date could see you removed from the course or your work contract may be cancelled after consultation with your supervisor/course instructor.
PREP Form Lab Access Check List
Key/Fob Access Request Forms
EV Building SW Building SY Building
Key/Fob Deposit Payment Instructions
Key/Fob Return Form
DPES Key/Fob Access FAQ
In order to obtain a fob and/or key to access your office and lab space, you will need to successfully complete the Onboarding and Training requirements indicated above.
Once your PREP document has been submitted to the Technical Operations Manager, you will be provided with instructions on how to obtain and pick-up your fob and/or key for your office and lab space.
Yes. Each fob and/or key will require a $20 deposit, which will be refunded to you when you return your fob and/or key in the future.
Deposit payment instructions can be found at the following link.
Please notify your supervisor. Your supervisor will then be required to email the Administrative and Financial Assistant to request a new fob expiration date.
Please notify your supervisor. Your supervisor will then be required to email the Administrative and Financial Assistant to request access.
Lost fob(s) and/or key(s) must be reported immediately to the Technical Operations Manager.
Once reported, you will be provided with instructions on how to receive a replacement fob and/or key.
Upon the completion of your academic studies or research work assignment, please complete the Fob/Key Return and Deposit Refund form.
A staff member will contact you with instructions on how to return your fob and/or key, and receive any associated deposits.