On-campus Employment and Volunteering

Two students presenting to a school official

You are allowed to work within the boundaries of the campus for any employer including the university, faculty, yourself, student clubs/organizations, and private businesses/contractors providing services to the university.

On-campus employment includes students working as research or teaching assistants at facilities off-campus in research related to their research grant. These facilities could include teaching hospitals, clinics, research institutes, etc., that have a formal association or affiliation with University of Toronto. 

What You Need to Know - On-Campus Opportunities

You may work at any number of jobs on campus of the university without a work permit if you:

  • are a full-time student*
  • have a valid study permit indicating you may accept employment on-campus and
  • have a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

*including inbound exchange, graduate and undergraduate students (degree and non-degree programs)

Citizenship and Immigration Canada does not restrict the number of hours international students may work on-campus. However, we recommend that you limit your hours to part time while you are a registered full-time student as your studies must be the main reason for your stay in Canada.

As an international student, you may volunteer at some positions without a work permit. Volunteer work is normally unpaid. However, some unpaid positions are considered “work” and international students in these positions may require a Work Permit. Please check with the employer whether a work permit is required.

Generally speaking, volunteering on campus through student clubs, departments and organizations does not require a work permit.

More information about volunteer work by foreign students can be found on the CIC website and students are encouraged to check with the ISC before accepting any off-campus volunteer positions.


To work on-campus and get paid, in addition to a study permit you need to have a SIN. You can apply for a SIN in person at the closest Service Canada Center.