Upon Arrival - FAQ
- Transition and immigration advising
- Global mobility programs (e.g., study abroad, exchange programs) and advising
- Student life and intercultural events & programs
- International student and parent orientation and transition
- Help with pre- and post-arrival to Canada
- Workshops on topics ranging from maintaining your legal status to cooking affordable yet delicious meals
- Leadership and volunteering opportunities on campus ( E.g., Global Citizenship Certificate, Real Talk, Cultural Events, First Year Experience Program)
- Assistance with health insurance inquiries (i.e., UHIP)
We are not currently open for drop-in appointments and offer virtual (MS Teams and Zoom) and phone appointments instead. If you have any inquiries, you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org for general questions or email@example.com for matters concerning UHIP, and we will do our best to give you a response within three business days.
Once you have settled in, some good places to start would be opening a Canadian bank account, a cell phone plan, and ensuring you have weather-appropriate attire.
If you would like to begin getting involved on campus, there are plenty of programs designed to help with the transition into university: UTSC First Year Experience. An example would be the First Year Experience Program, which you are automatically enrolled into. You will be assigned a dedicated First Year Peer, who are upper-year students that help first-year students in their transition to university.
You should book an appointment with an advisor if you have questions about:
- Study Permit
- Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)
- Electronic Travel Authorization (e-TA)
- On and off-campus employment
- Co-op Work Permit
- Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)
- Social Insurance Number (SIN)
- Maintaining eligibility to work and study in Canada
- Lost or stolen legal documents
- Canadian permanent residency and citizenship
Currently, appointments are only available virtually. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to book an appointment.
To book your appointment:
1. Log into CLNx with your UTOR id and password.
2. Under the CLN Dashboard menu on the left-hand side, click on 'Appointments'
3. Click 'UTSC International Student Centre”
4. Click on a timeslot in the calendar that says 'Open'
5. Be sure to include the following information:
a. You can choose how you want to meet in the “Notes” section. Available methods are MS Teams, Zoom, phone, and in-person. If selecting one of the first two options, please include your U of T email address as that will be how we contact you. If selecting a phone appointment, please provide your preferred phone number.
b. Include a brief description of reason for appointment including expiry date of your documents, your country of citizenship, and your current location (inside or out of Canada)
6. Click 'Book Appointment'. You will receive a confirmation email once the appointment has been booked successfully.
If you have difficulty booking an appointment online, please email your inquiry to email@example.com
When doing so, please use your U of T email address and provide:
- Your full name
- Your student # and UTORid
- Your citizenship and current location (inside or outside Canada)
- The expiry dates of your immigration documents
- Your current year and program of study
Please note that after the appointment is successfully booked on CLNx, your advisor will share the meeting link with you prior to your scheduled appointment and you do not need to send an additional email asking for it.