Extending your Study Permit within Canada

Three students having a discussion with a professor

Do not let your study permit expire. Make a copy of your study permit and keep it in a safe place.


If you are a current U of T student, your study permit extension application in Canada is exempt from the new PAL (Provincial Attestation Letter) requirement. We highly recommend that you extend your study permit in Canada before it expires. However if you are a returning student and have to apply for your study permit outside Canada because your current study permit has expired, you must submit the PAL along with the letter of enrolment for your application outside Canada. Please contact ISC as soon as possible about the PAL . 


Study Permits are the most important documents issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada to international students. It is important to ensure that your Study Permit does not expire. Check the expiry date, and make sure you renew your Study Permit at least 60-90 days before the expiry date.  You must apply for a renewal from within Canada.

You cannot extend your Study Permit beyond the expiry date of your passport. If your passport is expiring, renew it first before you apply to extend your Study Permit.

If you plan to travel outside Canada and your Study Permit will expire while you are travelling, you should apply to renew your Study Permit before you leave Canada.

If you are from one of the designated countries, you need a valid Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to return to Canada if you are travelling. If you are extending your Study Permit, wait till you receive your permit then apply for your TRV. You cannot apply for both at the same time.  

What You Need to Know - Extending your Study Permit

You may submit an application package by:

Applying online 

If you apply online, you will answer a questionnaire, create a personal check list code, sign up/log into MYCIC account, and automatically see a list of the required application form and documents you have to provide.

Applying on paper 

You may apply on paper only  if you are an applicant requiring accommodations for a disability. 

If you are applying on paper, make sure you complete the document checklist, application form, and supporting documents. The instruction guide provides assistance with how to fill out the form and submit supporting documents.

Check the processing times by the CIC office inside Canada. It is updated on a weekly basis.

If your application is approved, your Study Permit will be mailed to you at the mailing address you provided to CIC.


  • Application form: Application to Change Conditions, Extend my stay or remain in Canada as a student [IMM5709]
  • Designated Learning Institution (DLI) #:  O19332746152 Please note that DLI# begins with the letter “O”. Applicants are required to indicate this number on the study permit application forms. 
  • UCI: Also known as “Client ID” appears on your Study and Work Permit if you already have one
  • Document Number: Starts with a letter (F or U) followed by nine numbers on study/work permits
  • Valid passport: If your passport will be expiring soon, renew it 6 months in advance of expiry
  • Proof of means of financial support - You'll need to show you can cover the cost of one year in Canada including school tuitionOpens an external site and may open a new window, plus CAD $ 20,635 (for living expenses), by submitting a bank statement, savings account passbook, bank draft, or other proof that indicates you have sufficient funds. If a family member or an institution is providing you with the money, include their letter of support along with the proof of sufficient funds in their names.  You need to provide proof of an additional funds for each dependent accompanying you to Canada.
  • Letter of Acceptance: (Letter of Enrollment/registration for returning students). Returning international students are required to provide a Letter of Enrollment/registration from the Office of Registrar confirming their status at the University.

    Students can generate Confirmation of Enrolment letters for currently open semesters, free of charge, through ACORN. You can access this option on ACORN under 'Transcript & Enrolment Confirmation'.

    If the ACORN generated letter is not sufficient for your needs, please review the options on this website

    Only students coming from a Canadian high school or transferring from another university are required to provide a letter of acceptance.

  • Proof of Medical Exam (if applicable): You are required to provide proof of medical exam only if: You have had a medical exam performed by a CIC authorized panel physician (doctor) within the last 12 months or You have lived in a designated country or territory for more than six months within the last 12 months.

If you are a student in a co-op program, you can apply for or extend your co-op work permit along with study permit extension (if it is about to expire), with one application form.

If you apply to extend your study permit before the expiry date, you have implied status as long as you remain in Canada. You may continue to study or work on/off campus (if eligible) in Canada until you receive your renewed study permit, even though the expiry date of your permit has passed while you are waiting to receive the new one.

To maintain your legal status in Canada, you must extend your study permit before it expires inside Canada.  If you submit your extension application after the permit expires you will be “out of status”. You must stop studying and working immediately and see an Immigration Advisor at the International student Centre (ISC) for assistance with restoring your status.

NEVER let your study permit expire!

If you don’t apply to extend your study permit before the expiry date, you must stop studying and working immediately and see the Immigration Advisor at the International student Centre (ISC) for assistance.

You may apply to restore your status within 90 days of losing it from within Canada. There is no guarantee that your application to restore your status will be accepted. You cannot leave the country till you hear from CIC about the decision made on your application. The processing time varies and can take several months.

If you haven’t applied for restoration of study permit and more than 90 days have passed from the expiry date, you have to leave the country and apply for a new study permit from your country of residence/citizenship. A 6-month bar may be imposed on your new study permit application. Meet immediately with the Immigration advisor to get advice about collecting required documents before leaving the country.

All study permit holders in Canada are required to actively pursue studies, meaning that you must remain enrolled and make reasonable and timely progress towards completing your program. Failing to do so could lead to your removal from Canada. Your study permit becomes invalid 90 days after you complete your studies. Your program is considered complete when you receive written confirmation of program completion (for example, an official letter) from the Registrar Office.

If you are coming from a high school (secondary) or post-secondary institution to U of T and have a valid study permit, you don’t need to change or apply for a new study permit. However, you must extend your permit inside Canada prior to the expiry date.