What is UHIP (University Health Insurance Plan)?
UHIP (University Health Insurance Plan) is a mandatory medical insurance plan for all international students. Each year when you enroll in courses on ACORN and pay your fees, you will automatically be enrolled in UHIP for the 12-month period from September 1st to August 31st. UHIP coverage is provided by Cowan and coverage cards will be sent out on a rolling basis starting September 1st of each academic year to your UTMail.
Download the UHIP vs SCSU Insurance Comparison Chart
Download the UHIP vs SCSU Insurance Graphic
Who UHIP Applies to:
- International students studying in Ontario
- International employees working in Ontario who cannot gain access to OHIP
- Family members of international students and employees who are not eligible for OHIP
- Short term visitors associated with a participating university, such as exchange students
Visit this website for more information
Once enrolled in UHIP, check your university email for your UHIP coverage card.
- Email from: Cowan Insurance Group
- Download, print and carry the coverage card with you
- Show it on every visit to the doctor (including a clinic or lab) or hospital
- Students are encouraged to register UHIP online to access important information and sign-up for direct deposit for claims reimbursement
Can’t access your university email account?
You need to talk to Student Help Desk on Bladen Wing 4th floor (BV 487) if you are having trouble accessing your University email.
Didn't get an email from Cowan?
Contact the International Student Centre on the fourth floor of Highland Hall to make sure you've been enrolled in UHIP.
Have you been enrolled in UHIP but didn't get an email from COWAN?
Please visit the International Student Centre on the fourth floor of Highland Hall (HL 448).
Have questions about your UHIP coverage or need help registering online?
Speak to someone at the International Student Centre, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.