Work Permits

One of the advantages of choosing to study in Canada is that you are allowed to get Canadian work experience while you are here! Some types of work require that you have a permit in order to work legally. To be legally paid in Canada, you also need a Social Insurance Number.

Work Permits Available:


Type of Permit

Work Permitted


Study Permit

with authorization to work conditions

On-Campus Employment

  • Be a full-time student
  • Have a valid Study Permit
  • Work on the campus where you are registered

Study Permit

with authorization  to work conditions

Off-Campus Employment

Up to 20 hours/week during regular academic sessions and full-time during scheduled breaks

  • Have a valid Study Permit
  • Be enrolled full-time in a degree program (ESL, visiting, exchange students excluded)

Co-op Work Permit

Work during co-op work terms only

  • Have a valid Study Permit
  • Be enrolled in a Co-op program

Post-Graduation Work Permit

Work for up to 3 years program completion

  • Have a valid Study Permit
  • Apply within 180 days of receiving a notification that you’ve completed your degree requirements