Degree Requirement Questions
1. Which calendar do I follow for my degree requirements?
Degree requirements may change from year to year. Students can complete the degree requirements outlined in the UTSC Calendar in effect during their first or most recent registration at UTSC, or any in effect during the intervening period. To find out when you started your degree, log into Degree Explorer and look under the Degree “Start session”.
2. Do I need to complete breadth requirements?
That depends on which year you started your degree. Students who started their degree in 2010 onwards need to complete the breadth requirements as part of their degree requirements. Log into Degree Explorer, find out when you started your degree, and check if the breadth requirements are part of your degree assessment. You can review the degree requirements in the calendar.
3. What is the depth (C/D) requirement?
Students who started their degree in 2010 onwards are required to complete at least 6.0 credits at the C/D level of which 1.0 credit must be at the D level. Log into Degree Explorer and find out when you started your degree and check if the depth requirements are part of your degree assessment.
4. Am I limited to completing only 6.0 credits at the A-level?
No, this is one of the degree requirements for St. George Arts & Science students. You can review the UTSC degree requirements in the calendar.
5. Which type of degree (HBSc, HBA, or BBA) am I graduating with?
You can graduate with one of the 3 different degree types. The type of programs you study will determine the type of degree you will graduate with. If you were admitted since 2015 and complete a specialist or a major in the arts, you will graduate with an Honours Bachelor of Arts. If you were admitted between 2010-2014, you can also complete 2 minors in the arts to graduate with the Honours Bachelor of Arts.
If you were admitted since 2015 and complete a specialist or a major in the sciences, you will graduate with a Honours Bachelor of Science. If you were admitted between 2010-2014, you can also complete 2 minors in the sciences to graduate with Honours Bachelor of Science.
If you study both the arts and science majors, you can choose either the Honours Bachelor of Arts or the Science degree.
Students who study Management or Economics specialist will graduate with the Bachelor of Business Administration degree.
If were admitted before 2010, you can refer to the degree type information in the calendar from year you were admitted to UTSC.
6. How many credits can I complete at other campuses?
Students admitted since 2003
Students are permitted to take up to 10.0 credits in other Arts and Science divisions of the University of Toronto (UTM/St. George).
Students admitted prior to 2003
Refer to the calendar from the year you were admitted to UTSC. If you need further assistance, speak to an Academic & Learning Strategist. If you are planning to take program requirements at other campuses, consult with your program advisors/supervisors first. You do not need to seek permission from your program advisor/supervisor prior to taking electives (courses not part of your program requirements).
7. I have an “extra” course; does this count toward my degree?
No, if you have completed an “extra” (exclusion of a course you previously completed), you cannot use this toward any of your degree requirements. However, you can use the “extra” toward your program requirements. Refer to the calendar for more information.
Program Requirement Questions
8. Which calendar can I follow for my program requirements?
To understand which program requirement you could follow, you need to figure out when you enrolled in your programs on Degree explorer.
If you enrolled in your program PRIOR to April 1, 2013 (Summer 2013 session)
- You can complete any of the program requirements since the year you were admitted to UTSC.
If you enrolled in your program SINCE April 1, 2013 (Summer 2013 session)
HBA & HBSc programs
- You can complete any of the program requirements listed in the calendar since you enrolled in your program.
- Changed from co-op to non co-op version of the same program? Complete any program requirements from the year you were admitted to the co-op program.
- You can complete any of the program requirements since the year you were initially admitted into the Management specialist program, even if you switch into another Management specialist program.
9. I want to complete the program requirement listed in the calendar from a different year and not the one indicated on Degree Explorer. What do I do?
Send an email to the Registrar’s Office to indicate which program requirement you want to complete by logging into Degree Explorer and clicking on the ‘Contact Us’ button.
10. I’m completing 2 majors. Can I follow program requirements from two different calendars?
Yes you can. For example, you can complete the program requirements from 2016-2017 Biology major and 2017-2018 Psychology major.
11. Can I complete program requirements at other campuses?
Yes you can. However, you must seek permission from your program advisor/supervisor prior to enrolling in UTSG or UTM courses. They may add the program exception into Degree Explorer directly. If your advisor completes a program exception form or sends you an email instead, you need to submit this to the Registrar’s office. Refer to the list of program advisors/supervisors.
12. I started in a co-op program and want to complete the non co-op version of the same program. Which calendar do I complete?
You can complete the non co-op version of the program requirements listed in the calendar from the year you were admitted to the co-op program or any subsequent calendars.
Degree Explorer Questions
13. There are some discrepancies between the calendar requirements and Degree Explorer. What do I do?
Degree Explorer is a useful tool, which is an automated system. If Degree Explorer is not using the courses that you wish to use toward a particular requirement, try to check your program requirements manually. If there are any discrepancies between Degree Explorer and the calendar, you are responsible for following the calendar program and degree requirements.
14. What if I notice differences between the program requirements in the calendar and Degree Explorer?
The program requirements can change from year to year. Ensure that the calendar year you are following for your program requirements matches the program start year on Degree Explorer. You can review the program requirements from previous calendars. If you still notice discrepancies, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
15. My program supervisor has given permission to use courses not listed in my program (program exceptions), but Degree Explorer is not using them towards my program requirements. What do I do?
Submit your program exception form or email (substitution for program requirements) to email@example.com.
16. I have transfer credits that my program supervisor gave permission to use towards my program, but Degree Explorer is not using the credits toward my program assessment. What do I do?
Refer to the information regarding transfer credits. If your program advisors/supervisors completed a program exception form (substitution for program requirements) or sent you an email allowing you to use your transfer credits toward your programs, you need to submit this information to firstname.lastname@example.org.