Residence Guarantee for new first year students
Residence is guaranteed* for all new full-time students entering their first year of university in an undergraduate program for the first time, provided that they have indicated their interest in residence by completing the StarRez Portal application by March 31, and receive and accept an offer of admission by June 1.
All residence applications are completed on the University's central residence application site, the StarRez Portal.
*The health and safety of the U of T community is our top priority. The University is looking toward Fall 2021 with optimism, and we are hopeful that public health conditions will allow us to house all eligible first-year students. With the requirement to be vaccinated to live in residence, we are increasing the total number of spaces available in residences and, where appropriate, utilizing shared rooms. Given the demand for residence spaces for Fall 2021, the University will consider offsite accommodations. Provincial health regulations continue to guide our work and will determine the total number of spaces in residences as well as our ability honour the first-year residence guarantee.
- Enable your JOINid.
This provides access to the application through the StarRez Portal. Have your U of T applicant number and JOINid ready and visit uoft.me/enable.
- Submit your Residence Guarantee application on the StarRez Portal by March 31.
Log in to the StarRez Portal and complete the Residence Guarantee application to confirm your interest in residence. Note: Receiving a University offer is not a prerequisite to complete this step by March 31. All UTSC applicants who have an interest in living in residence should complete this step.
- Accept your UTSC residence offer and pay deposits on the StarRez Portal.
Eligible students who accept a University offer of admission by June 1 will be notified of their UTSC residence offer on StarRez Portal by email June 9. When you receive a residence offer, follow the instructions to complete the application, sign the online Residence Agreement, and submit both required deposits by the respective deadlines:
- June 15 by 4:00pm: Deposit #1 of $600
- July 15 by 4:00pm: Deposit #2 of $1400
Deposits are refundable until July 15. See our Cancellations page for more details.
- All First Year residence agreements are for both the Fall & Winter sessions from September to April. It is not possible to apply to receive an offer for a guaranteed space in residence for only the Fall or only the Winter session. Only applicants who receive a late offer from the wait list may be offered a Winter Only offer.
- Students who do not receive a study permit by July 15 are strongly encouraged to cancel by that date to receive a full refund of their deposits. They may request to add their application to the wait list at that time. Please note that there is no guarantee to receive an offer of residence at a later date from the wait list. Cancelling your guaranteed space in residence is final. Your guarantee cannot be deferred to a subsequent session or academic year. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to decline your Fall & Winter guarantee offer and request to be placed on the wait list for an offer for the Winter session only.
Application steps, by date
|Before March 31
||Enable your JOINid.
|March 31 by 11:59pm
||Deadline to submit Residence Guarantee application on StarRez Portal
||Residence offers will be emailed to First Year students with the Residence Guarantee
|June 15 by 4:00pm
||Deadline to submit deposit #1 of $600
|July 15 by 4:00pm
||Deadline to submit deposit #2 of $1400
||Room assignments communicated
||Residence move in days (by appointment)
First Year Wait List
New students who do not meet criteria for or lose their First Year Guarantee due to previous post-secondary experience or missing a deadline may submit an application for consideration. Your application will be submitted directly to the wait list. You must monitor the StarRez Portal and your email on file with the University frequently to check the status of your residence application.
Due to a high demand for residence, wait list offers will only be sent after offers have been sent to students with the residence guarantee. It is anticipated that offers to students on the wait list will not begin until mid-July.
You can stay on the wait list for as long as you would like. We continue to offer spaces as they become available throughout the summer and academic year. If you choose to remain active on the wait list, it is important to respond to emails requesting you to confirm your continued interest in the wait list. If you want to remove yourself from the wait list, you can do so within the application in the StarRez Portal. You will be considered active on the wait list until you cancel your application, notify our office that you are no longer interested in being considered for residence, or fail to respond to email requests to confirm your continued interest in the wait list.
If you receive an offer from the wait list, you will be required to submit a $1400 deposit to accept the offer. If you move in after September 17, your fees will be prorated to the week you move in.
To apply, login to the StarRez Portal and click "Apply to Residence' If you are an Upper Year student, contact us to access the Upper Year application.