Housing Guarantee for new first year students
Housing is guaranteed* for all new full-time students entering their first year of university in an undergraduate program for the first time, provided that they have indicated their interest in residence by completing the StarRez Portal application by March 31, and receive and accept an offer of admission by June 1.
All residence applications are completed on the University's central residence application site, the StarRez Portal.
March 31:Housing Guarantee application deadline
June 8/9: UTSC residence offers emailed
June 21: Deposit deadline to confirm your space for Fall and select your meal plan
- Enable your JOINid.
This provides access to the application through the StarRez Portal. Have your U of T applicant number and JOINid ready and visit uoft.me/enable.
- Submit your Residence Guarantee application on the StarRez Portal by March 31.
Log in to the StarRez Portal and complete the Residence Guarantee application to confirm your interest in residence. Note: Receiving a University offer is not a prerequisite to complete this step by March 31. All UTSC applicants who have an interest in living in residence should complete this step.
- Accept your UTSC residence offer, pay deposit, and select First Year meal plan on the StarRez Portal between June 8 - 21.
Eligible students who accept a University offer of admission by June 1 will be notified of their UTSC residence offer on StarRez Portal by email between June 8-9. When you receive a residence offer, follow the instructions to complete the application, sign the online Residence Agreement, and submit deposit by the deadline stated in the residence offer.
- All First Year residence agreements are for both the Fall & Winter sessions from September to April. It is not possible to apply to receive an offer for a guaranteed space in residence for only the Fall or only the Winter session. Only applicants who receive a late offer from the wait list may be offered a Winter Only offer.
- All First Year students, regardless of which building type they are placed in, have a mandatory meal plan. First Year students have meals at the dining hall in the First Year residence building.
- Students who do not receive a study permit by July 24 are strongly encouraged to cancel by that date to receive a full refund of their deposit. They may request to add their application to the wait list at that time. Please note that there is no guarantee to receive an offer of residence at a later date from the wait list. Cancelling your guaranteed space in residence is final. Your guarantee cannot be deferred to a subsequent session or academic year. Please email email@example.com to decline your Fall & Winter guarantee offer and request to be placed on the wait list for an offer for the Winter session only.
Application steps, by date
|Before March 31||Enable your JOINid.|
|March 31 by 11:59pm||Deadline to submit Residence Guarantee application on StarRez Portal|
|June 8-9||Residence offers will be emailed to First Year students with the Residence Guarantee|
|June 21 by 4:00pm||Deadline to submit acceptance deposit and select meal plan on the StarRez Portal|
|August 21||Room assignments communicated|
|Friday, September 1||Residence move in day (by appointment)|
First Year Wait List - Opens April 3
New students who do not meet criteria for or lose their First Year Guarantee due to previous post-secondary experience or missing a deadline may submit an application for consideration. Your application will be submitted directly to the wait list. You must monitor the StarRez Portal and your email on file with the University frequently to check the status of your residence application.
Due to a high demand for residence, each year, wait list offers will only be sent after offers have been sent to students with the residence guarantee.
You can stay on the wait list for as long as you would like. We continue to offer spaces as they become available throughout the summer and academic year. If you choose to remain active on the wait list, it is important to respond to emails requesting you to confirm your continued interest in the wait list. If you want to remove yourself from the wait list, you can do so within the application in the StarRez Portal. You will be considered active on the wait list until you cancel your application, notify our office that you are no longer interested in being considered for residence, or fail to respond to email requests to confirm your continued interest in the wait list.
If you receive an offer from the wait list, you will be required to submit a $1500 deposit to accept the offer. If you move in after September 17, your fees will be prorated to the week you move in.